Friday, December 3, 2010

Building Houses with Gingerbread








I only WISH I had made this incredible gingerbread house! Way back when, so far back my kids were tykes in diapers, we made this very cool gingerbread house and church and school and city. We were using graham crackers which made building walls so much easier. Only one of our Gingerbread City Buildings was made of rolled-out dough and until you've actually tried baking cookie dough with structural integrity and plumb straight lines, you have NO idea how hard it is!

When I saw this prize-winning gingerbread house, I almost cried. You just KNOW that woman's feet are killing her!





GrandPrize winner by Patricia Howard






Third Place Winner





A Prize Winning Entry 'snowglobe' constructed of....gingerbread? HOW on EARTH did they DO that?





Two views of the same house. It's soooooooooooo cute!







An amazing castle with filigreed icing on the scrolled ironwork entry door!


And from the movie, "UP", this darling house was created. You can see more pictures of the "UP" house on this blog: Up Gingerbread House




How's this one? According to the website where I found this picture, it's absolutely huge! Not sure where they found an oven to bake this thing though the rules insist the creation must be made of edible gingerbread and sugared decorations!




The castle below was created by the Executive Chef of Chateau Frontenac for the exhibit, Noel en Allemagne (Christmas in Germany 1994-1995). Gingerbread houses are a German tradition.




Well, let's just say Americans have caught on and maybe even exceeded European imaginations because take a look at this gingerbread house created for the Obamas. This 'house' took six weeks to complete. It's constructed from 400 pounds of gingerbread coated in white chocolate. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Talk! It gets lonely in here!