"There's always gonna be obstacles.
The thing is, you don't let those
obstacles determine where you go."
-Pearl Fryar-
One evening, Michael and I were watching NetFlix together and stumbled on a documentary about “A Man Named Pearl.” He is considered to be one of the world’s greatest topiary artists. We were so enchanted with this great man and his gardens that Michael actually watched the whole movie with me.
I can’t get the documentary for you on YouTube or I’d post it on our blog. I did find a couple of videos about Pearl’s Topiary garden which he manages all by himself, usually working until midnight after spending his day in the factory. He’s retired now and he’s famous. His topiaries are included in Museums of Art.
Now, lest you feel bad because you don’t have a world-wide famous topiary garden, Pearl lives in south Carolina. He doesn’t even use fertilizer and there’s no irrigation, either. He does have a unique way of protecting the plant’s roots with mulch that horticulturists commented on in the documentary. They tell him “Hey, you can’t grow that plant like that” and Pearl just smiles. It’s fifteen-feet high.
I hope you enjoy the short films attached to this message. When we get together again, you’ll have to see the documentary, “A Man Named Pearl.”
Oh, and he’s married to the same woman who says, “I told Pearl if he married me, we’d go places.” Well, it doesn't appear that Pearl and Mrs. Pearl traveled very far from home, but people from all over the world come to visit Pearl's garden. Especially the Japanese, renowned for their topiary gardens.
And it's definitely Pearl's GARDEN. His wife takes care of the house. Pearl trims the trees. Pearl's garden will be preserved by an ongoing foundation created in his name.
This is my very favorite topiary sculpture. If my memory is correct, it's about sixteen feet tall. He has to stand on a huge ladder to keep it trimmed.
"I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing. My plants are a success because of my lack of knowledge," says Pearl. "If I knew horticulture, my garden would never have looked like this."
The squared-up tree below is my second favorite design. The 'box' is so large, he has to crawl up through the center, INSIDE the box and then he walks across the top 'shelf to trim the center. NO kidding! And yes, his wife is worried that one day, he's gonna kill himself trimming his precious topiaries. She says she stays home whenever Pearl is working in the yard so she can keep an eye on him.
Pearl's John Deere Commercial
Guess Pearl won't have to worry about retirement funds, eh?
By the way, Pearl does not charge people to tour his garden. He accepts donations. After his garden was discovered by a museum curator, she found sponsors. She found ways to create a foundation to carry on his garden after he was gone. Pearl never worried about that very much. He has one son. A computer geek who doesn't garden. Pearl was content to let his garden go back to it's natural state. I don't think he meant a 'cornfield' though.
Hope you enjoyed our tour through Pearl's garden!
P.S. I also accept donations for my tour guide services. Where's that donation button??!!
Link for photos
COMMENTS
Kathy Apr 21, 2011 09:06 AM
Thank you for bringing Pearl to us Carolyn. He is an amazing man and its an inspiring story. I cain't hep it, he is talented!!





No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Talk! It gets lonely in here!